Pattern: Burdastyle 10-2010-118A
Fabric: Silk cotton blend from Gay Naffine
On this lovely fine and delicate fabric I had to do french seams. Well, the armscye defeated me for french seaming- this was finished with just a fine zigzag.
I made the neck slit at least 6 cm less low than Burda suggested. No need to show my lingerie! I didn’t use any interfacing, just a strip of fashion fabric with a fine rolled hem on the edges. After turning it to the inside I added a row of topstitching around the slit.
Burda has a turned up cuff on the sleeves. I just did a simple rolled hem. I also did this on the bodice hem, and the edges of the tie.
I sewed the tie onto the back neck around to the shoulder seams, as Burda instructs. If I make another one, I’ll sew it a bit further around to the front. The neck is finished with a bias strip turned inside, with the tie enclosed.
The teenage fashion critic approves. ‘Very french’ was the verdict. I don’t think she was talking about the seams.
Other more experienced fashion critics have also been complementary. I think I might need to make another one…