One of my Denver souvenirs has made it into a dress.
I love this fabric and this style. And I like the wide lime green ribbon ‘belt’. I love the big gathered skirt. It would look even more fabulous with a gathered tulle petticoat underneath.
But the dress is not for me. It’s custom made for Felicity. Felicity is not so keen on it. Not even sure she will wear it.
Oh well, that’s the life of a hobby seamstress!
Pattern: Burdastyle 02-2011-101
Size 36-44. I made a 38 with some alterations
Fabric: Quilting cotton for outer, pale pink batiste for bodice lining
Changes I made:
I cut the back skirt with a centre back seam and moved the zip to the centre back. I used a vintage burgundy zip (inherited from my mum’s stash) and put it in as a centered zip.
I added 5 cm to the length.
To keep the neckline form stretching out I used iron on Vilene stay tape just a smidge inside the stitching line.
I added about 30 mm extra to the base of the neckline scoop so that it was not as deep and about 10 mm to the side neck to decrease the width and adjusted the back neck up about 15 mm too.
I made a 15 mm FBA (full bust adjustment) in the bodice. I’ve never needed to do this for myself, so this was a first. Thanks goodness for sewing blogs! I used Sew L.A.blog’s excellent post to alter the pattern, tissue fitted my new pattern on Felicity and then took the plunge and cut out my fabric.
Apart from improving the fit on Felicity, this alteration added a horizontal dart to the side. I left the vertical dart as one dart but its pretty wide after this alteration. I think next time it would be better to change to two darts.
I’m very happy with the fit. I can’t show you how good it is because the dress is not on Felicity, but I have put her bra on Eliza, the dress making dummy, so you can get some idea.