I loved this blouse when the September 2010 issue of BurdaStyle arrived in my letterbox, but, as is a common occurrence for me, I’ve taken over a year to make it up.
I blame part of this on getting the issues six months out of season, but it’s really because there are so many styles I like I couldn’t possibly make them all up in a timely manner.
Melissa’s recent silk version reminded me that I really did need to find the time to make this style.
I had some very lovely transparent silk cotton with an abstract design that I thought might look good made up in a draped style, and this pattern looked like the one to try.
And this is certainly not a BurdaStyle with a plunging neckline. [The skirt is not yet blogged, but is made from lovely fabric from the same shopping spree )
This is a beautiful blouse to wear. Airy on a hot day yet covered up enough in front due to the crossover style and deep self facing and with a modest high neckline. The beautiful hand and look of the fabric helps too!
I prefer it tucked in but it can also be worn out.
This is a very easy pattern to make up. I can see more in my future wardrobe…perhaps some with long sleeves for winter…
Pattern: BurdaStyle 09-2010-110
Size: 36-42, I made a 42 grading out to 44 to the hips
Fabric: Silk cotton blend
I used French seams on the side seams but couldn’t get my head around doing French seams on the shoulders and integrated collar pieces. So the seam allowance from the front on the bias was stitched over the (trimmed smaller) seam allowance from the back (sort of like a self bound seam but with no hand stitching)
I added a small piece of organza to add some stability under the buttonholes and under the buttons. I didn’t use any edge finishes on the organza (apart from pinking) but because it is semi enclosed, and the blouse will be carefully laundered, I think it will be okay.
Changes I might make next time
The buttons at the hips are a bit clunky (even though I used nice thin buttons). Adding ties and turning this into a real wrap blouse could be good. Other clever sewists have already made this change.