I’ve been beta testing designer original patterns. Woohoo!
Rhonda from Rhonda’s Creative Life is a pattern drafter extraordinaire. She posts lots of relatively simple and free designs every Friday on her website as well as a host of other fabulous stuff. I was privileged to try out one of her latest designs.
Pattern Name: Lend me your shoulders Top
I have a hand traced pattern (it was exciting to get this in the post!) but I understand Rhonda will have the pattern up as a pdf downloadable soon.
Pattern Size: Small-Medium-Large, I made a Large
I used a wool knit with the white stripes ruched onto a black stretchier stripe. The white stripes have width wise stretch but not lengthwise, and the black stripes must have lots of lycra because they are stretchy both directions. It’s from Gay Naffines fabric selloff in May 2009. Sitting in my stash just waiting for Rhonda to draft the right pattern for it
It is not a drapey fabric, more like a light sweater knit and this is why the off shoulder part peaks up rather than falls off the shoulder. I like this and was glad my fabric worked out, but if you prefer the falling off the shoulder look, a drapier knit would be better.
Changes I made
I lengthened the sleeves by 1 inch (because I wanted a longer sleeve- my fabric is what is making the bell shape, not the sleeve design!)
I shortened the top by half inch at the side seams and more through the centre because I hemmed it straight through a stripe rather than following the pattern’s curve.
I used a sewing machine for the corners on the right sleeve but a serger for the rest. I added cotton tape to stabilise the left, regular shoulder.
I’m a slow sewer but it only took me 45 minutes to prep the pattern and fabric and cut it out, another 45 minutes for construction (apart from the hems) and then about 30 minutes for the hems (including pinning a few different ways to work out what worked the best). It probably would have been quicker with a non striped fabric.
I think the next one could go from fabric-folded-in-the-stash to wearing-out-the-door in less than 2 hours.
Like I said to Rhonda, this is a great pattern with that quirky twist that appeals to me.
Its also very quick to make.
The skirt is new too. It’s another Burdastyle 04-2010-125. The fashion fabric is a stretch grey and black stripe (also from Gay Naffine, but only from last year) lined with a stretch poly satin. I made it the same as the last grey one , except I stabilised the waist with a length of polyester ribbon on the inside rather than using grosgrain on the outside.
Stripy top, stripy skirt, I need some stripy tights…