Back in July, I said I’d post more about this dress.
When I put this chambray dress on last week, I realized I never had.
This blue chambray dress was the test run for the hurricane weather pattern dress.
Size: 36-44. I made a 42 with a 40 waist, my usual sway back adjustment plus ‘petiting’ the bodice (taking 2 cm out horizontally above the bust).
Adjustments for fit
Why the ‘petiting’? I am shortwaisted so I probably should do this with all patterns. Secondly, the grey dress of doom turned out with the bust darts slightly lower than my bust and the high neck a bit uncomfortably high. My adjustment moved the bust darts up where I wanted them.
There is still some fabric pooling under my bust, although less when I stand up straight, which, clearly, I don’t do often enough! Perhaps I should have taken some out under the bust too. More tweaking for a further version!
Other changes were all for fun: Yellow topstitching to highlight the design lines, even on the back, and yellow lining, because I could.
Sorry about the wrinkles above. The fit is really not that poor…the bright morning sunshine was not so kind (except on my shoes-don’t they look fabulous!)
Once I was happy with the fit for the chambray dress. I made the hurricane pattern dress. The fabric was a mystery, but probably synthetic based. It frays a lot but presses and washes well. It was lined with white acetate lining. No topstitching or fancy contrast lining for this one; the fabric was the star!
I love both of these dresses. I still wear the grey dress of doom a lot too. I think this might be one of my favourite Burda patterns.