This blog needs to be renamed from He Cooks… She Sews! to He Cooks…. She Shops, She Bakes and (just sometimes) She Sews…
See previous post.
Chai Spiced Carrot Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 175g honey
- 125g gluten free SR flour (2/3 cup)
- 155g grated carrots (2 to 3 carrots)
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g almond meal
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (150°C fan forced). Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a large bowl, mix until well combined, then carefully pour the batter into the cake tin. Yes, that’s all you have to do!
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from My Petite Kitchen Cookbook by Eleanor Ozich (Murdoch Books) accessed at redonline.co.uk
I iced mine with the same cream cheese icing as the ‘real’ red velvet chocolate cup cakes then sprinkled a mixture of pepitas, sesame and sunflower seeds on top.
Another Nettie bodysuit
Pattern: Closet case Nettie Body Suit.
Size: 2-18. Same as last time; graded from a size 12 shoulders to a 14 bust, then 10 waist and then out to 12 hips.
Fabric: A slinky polyester knit from Spotlight. The knit version of silk chiffon. Utterly horrible to sew.
This fabric has 80% stretch widthwise but only 40% lengthwise. Heather Lou says at least 50% stretch both ways is needed for the fabric to work as a body suit.
So I decided to experiment.
Not always a good idea. But hey, what was the worst thing that could happen? Sewing it and then having to chop it off the bottom to make a regular top?
I added 4 cm total to the length of the front and back pieces
- 1 cm just below the scoop neck( just below the armscye)
- another 1 cm mid way between armscye and waist,
- another 1 cm just below waist
- the last 1 cm between the waist and the bottom edge/hip
I also added 2 cm to the sleeves, but turned up the hem 1 cm more than the instructions, so really just 1 cm extra length.
It worked! This bodysuit is firm fitting but comfortable enough to wear.
And whats next?
I need to sew some of those lovely new fabrics.
First up is a ‘poodle’ coat for Felicity. The plan is to use this fabric
in BurdaStyle 10/2012 #131, without the scarf