He who Cooks thought it looked like a Chux cleaning cloth.
I think he was teasing. But there is some resemblance. The resemblance to a dish cloth was even more striking when I was giving this fabric the gelatine pretreatment in my stock pot! He likes the dress though and has said nothing at all about Chux since.
Pattern: This dress was based on the Marion Bay dress (BurdaStyle 03/2013 #110)
The skirt lining was the same A-line shape as the original dress, so it sits closer to the body, while the silk chiffon layer was a half circle skirt that floats around it.
Silk chiffon. Eek. Gorgeous but impossibly slippery and able to stretch out of shape in a microsecond.
The gelatine pretreatment did make the fabric easier to cut out, but it didn’t give it canvas like consistency!
I underlined the bodice with my lining fabric, and this did make it easier to deal with. Particularly the darts.
I traced the dart legs with chalk, then basted through both layers as well as around the edges, by machine. I managed to avoid gathering and puckering by having the stretchy unstable chiffon underneath and the lining on top while I was sewing. I love “letting the feed dogs do the easing” for me.
Underlining made stitching the darts so much easier, and meant that the darts were not a feature with this sheer fabric, because all the doubled up fabric was underneath the lining rather than between the top fabric and the lining.
This wasn’t the case with the skirt, because it was lined rather than underlined, but there was only the centre back and side seams (plus the piecing I did at the hem because I didn’t have wide enough fabric..)
The skirt seams got the French seam treatment, and I stitched from the base to the waist because I’ve read somewhere that this stretches out bias less. Maybe it worked a bit, but the seam is still a bit bubbly. In the image above you can see the two extra pieces I had to piece in at the hem line.
After I washed out all the gelatine and let the dress hang to dry and drop before hemming, the side seams stretched out so much that I cut almost all of these pieces off to level the hem. So some extra French seaming in chiffon that I could have avoided!
The finishing touch was the daisy trim
I had a small length of trim in my stash that probably came from my mother or grandmother. It was just perfect.
I’m happy with how this turned out, and so is Felicity.
It really is the most delightful fabric. But I want the next project to be in nice stable cotton!