This was the inspiration.
And this is what was eventually made.
Why did it take four attempts??
Well the skirt was the easy bit. I just had to find the fabric. Thanks, Mood Fabrics (and a work commitment that took me to the US!).
The top was the tricky bit.
First try was the top (03/2013 #116) as featured by Burda.
Nice and boxy isn’t it? Felicity needs a FBA for fit, so I added a side dart to my draft and made up a trial version in a drapey polyester.
So, it was “okay”, but the neck was too high, says Felicity. A dart in a lace fabric? says me. Why not try an FBA that doesn’t add a dart? Like that great tutorial by Paprika Patterns.
The next draft had an FBA without the dart, and with the neck lowered a bit. Sensibly, I made this is a silk mousseline which mimicked the stiffness of my real fabric a little better.
This got the thumbs down too. Partly because of the colour ( I though it was a masterly match with the yellow in the floral skirt but apparently it was too much like a set of sheets from her childhood that were not loved.. Kids!).
French seams and all!
And the most beautifully finished bias on the neckline!
Oh well, it was fun making it (and I can wear it , so.. score 1 for Mum!)
But as well as being an un-favourite shade of yellow, the sleeves were annoyingly tight (Fadanista said that too) and the dropped shoulders were not loved.
Time to look for another pattern.
What about a crop top, I suggested. BurdaStyle 02/2015 #127 should do the job? The teenager heartily agreed!
I added a small 1 cm FBA, since the amount of ease was generous. I rotated the FBA back into the diagonal dart so that the style line was preserved.
The test version in blue flowered cotton was approved.
I made it with a back seam (and a keyhole opening with a button at the top) rather than open, as drafted.
I was onto something here! My last remaining change was to lower the front hem a little and then I cut the “lace” out.
This is an embroidered organza. I purchased it from Gay Naffine’s final designer fabric clearance, but, coincidentally, Tessuti has posted something that looks identical this weekend (thanks Jann, for letting me know! I’ve been avoiding the Tessuti website for obvious reasons—seen my stash lately?!)
Organza meant French seams. On sleeves with pointed almost square inserts. I caved and sewed normal seams and then trimmed one of the allowances, folded the other under and stitched. Sort of like lapped seams.
The final effect wasn’t too bad ( this is looking down on one of the cap sleeves before the side seam was sewn).
I trimmed and turned under the darts too.
The neck and keyhole opening at the back was finished with bias plain organza. Which is apparently terribly itchy. Ahh, one must suffer for fashion I say!
Lets have another look at the finished item.
The shape is good
The stiffness can make it a bit cape-like.
The lower back hem is nice.
And the shoes are a great addition to a lovely outfit.
And, on a more serious note, our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Paris, and people everywhere living in the shadow of terrorism.
Thanks for reading.