A gala dinner ticket, 2 metres of sequined stretch velour in the stash and almost enough time to sew something to wear. How could I resist?
My collection of BurdaStyle magazines going back several years provided just the right pattern: Bow Back Blouse 12/2017 #108.
Image source: Burdastyle
I have to say that I love my new pattern weights – a much appreciated gift. Thanks M!
Sequins went everywhere and my scissors now need sharpening.
Removing sequins was a very tedious part of this project.
Several needles were harmed during production of this garment. I took note of Burda’s advice and used fine size 70 needles in the sewing machine and overlocker. Six needles later I moved to size 90 needles. Much better outcome!
- Traced out a straight size 44. Forgot to raise the bust darts by my normal 2 cm. At least it’s not noticeable in this fabric.
- Fabric is a stretch velour with reversible sequins sewn on in a lovely pattern (not straight lines as is often the case and this makes sequin removal more difficult than normal). This fabric is from Gay Naffine and has been in my stash for five years.
- I used wide cotton bias binding instead of a neck facing. I used the pattern pieces to cut the tapes to length and seamed them to make the V at the base of the front and back before sewing them onto the garment.
- Only overlocked the armsyces as a consequence of needle breakage. I didn’t remove the sequins from the seams before sewing because it was way too tedious and I was time poor. I did reduce some bulk in the seams by snipping most of the sequins off after seaming, but still needed three overlocker needles to complete overlocking of the armsyces.
- Hemmed with a wide blind hem stitch and was surprised how well this worked – the sequins made this stitch totally invisible.
- Grosgrain ribbon hand sewn over the shoulder seams to prevent stretch out and to cover the scratchy sequins.
The back view on Eliza the dressmaking dummy. That bow is such a great feature.
The back view on me
Black garments are difficult to photograph. At night and in poor light – almost impossible. Add sequins to increase the difficulty factor. And to make the challenge even greater, try to take blog photos in a rush just before you’re supposed to leave for the event. And then stand in front of a dark stained wood panel to make it really hard to see. Such amateurs! Nicely dressed though.
You’ll just have to trust me that the sleeves are awesome and this is really an excellent pattern.
It goes without saying that we had a great evening.