Using Jocelyn Proust Christmas themed Australian animal prints to make Christmas dresses has become a tradition.
This year, wombats and waratahs became a Sew Different Tulip dress for me.
The whole menagerie of Australian animals was made into another version of B6677 for Felicity.
Yes of course there was a matching mask!
If you follow me on Insta you know my dress was not as successful as Felicity’s
It seems perfectly drafted to emphasise full tummies
Felicity’s dress was made the same as previously except only the bodice was lined and this is style A of B6677 without the flouces. I followed The Insouciant Stitcher’s tip and used an IKEA Nattjasmin cotton/lyocell bed sheet for garment construction. Excellent lining material for quilting weight cottons!
Three dresses in and I’ve only just worked out that Felicity can pull this on without unbuttoning. Next time I’ll omit the back neck slit and button! The shiny red button above the smiley wombat does makes me smile though.
I like the smiley wombats on my dress too. Even though they are more hairy.
This is the Sew Different Tulip dress
Mine was a size 18 which I then added a bit of extra width to after construction by taking the side seams out about 5 mm above and below the pockets (because the pockets were already sewn in). I probably could have just expanded through the waist above the pockets.
I used an olive suiting weight linen from Spotlight for the bottom band of my dress because it was in my stash, the colours worked and I didn’t have enough of my wombat fabric.
And the bias for the hem – same reasons
The ‘you can’t buy this’ tag turned out funnier than I expected – you can’t buy this and you probably don’t want to!
If there is a next time I will sew a larger size from the bust down, petite the bodice by removing 2 cm above the bust and round out the shoulder to sleeve transition.
Despite my lack of love for this dress I did end up wearing it for Christmas – for the meal prep part of the day. Then changed into the other “unsuccessful” dress for Christmas dinner. No longer unsuccessful because I saved that one from refashioning or donation with a tablecloth weight!