My beautiful niece let me know her wedding plans in a very cute way: “Aunty Liz, how would you like to make a bridesmaid dress for Felicity?” Of course I would!!
Some research was required, and so she and Felicity duly went to lots of places for Felicity to try on different styles and colours. One of them got the tick, and the mother of the bride promptly purchased it.
I was both disappointed and relieved. Weddings have such expectations and emotions wrapped up in them. At least I wouldn’t be disappointing the bride by making a dress that wasn’t exactly what she imagined when she looked at the fabric and pattern.
Except the size was wrong. And it was lace with french seams. Probably close to impossible to alter successfully.
It was a style I could easily replicate from my large stack of BurdaStyle magazine patterns. I couldn’t get exactly the same lace fabric, but I could get something similar. Back to me making the bridesmaid dress!
It turned out fabulous.
Spoiler alert. This was not the dress she wore on the day *
But you are not here for the wedding details, you’re here to read about the sewing!
Pattern: BurdaStyle 05/2014 #103
The pattern was in Tall sizes. Felicity is tall but not in a Tall pattern way (she has long legs but not a long torso ). She also requires a FBA. I made a trial version in a stretch cotton after some pattern adjustments.
The fit was okay, but some further changes were needed. I had the bust point a bit wrong and I’d shortened the bodice too much and the waist was loose. Which you can’t really see in these photos because of the awesome bright print.
Also, Felicity detests yokes. Who knew? I had enough leftover fabric to recut the front skirt with darts as long as I added a centre front seam.
The back still has a yoke:
Love this fabric! A gift from Jann. Thanks Jann!
After tweaking the bodice fit, I had the pattern sorted and it was time to cut into the lace.
We were using a stretch lace with a stretch crepe lining.
The lace had a subtle scalloped edge, and we wanted to put this at the hem of the dress and sleeves and around the neck.
This meant the lace bodice pieces were cut on the bias. I cut the bodice lining on grain which put the lining neck edge on the bias so that was stayed with a thin woven ribbon.
And because the scalloped edge was ‘free’ around the neckline, the lining was lined. Phew. Lots of layers. Specially at the waist where the double bust darts were.
Sleeves are unlined.
Amazingly, there is enough coverage at the shoulders to hide bra straps. I guess that’s due to legendary BurdaStyle drafting!
I am so happy with the fit and how this dress turned out. Felicity says it is lovely to wear. She looks stunning in it. I am not biased at all, of course.
Gorgeous shoes too. She’s set now for the next garden wedding she’s invited too.
* for those interested: this is the dress that was worn for bridesmaid duties (not me-made)
Bridesmaid Felicity with her cousin but without her bouquet