I’m continuing the theme of my last post – unsuccessful sewing.
This one is about SUPER unsuccessful sewing. This jacket has never been worn. Not once.
Not even for the short period of time required for a blog post photo. Which is a total shame because it’s a potentially great pattern made in great fabric constructed with love and care.
And, why haven’t I even modelled it for the blog? It makes me look like Jabba the Hutt wearing a bathrobe. If my neck was more swan-like and I had more waist definition and it wasn’t cream, it might have looked better?
I kept it for about 6 months, hoping the magic wardrobe would transform it, or my feelings about it.
And then, in a flurry of sorting stuff out, I donated it before I could document what it looked like on me for the blog. But, you know, Jabba the Hutt in a bathrobe. No-one needs to see that. You’re welcome.
But you might want to see some of the sewing details and hear my thoughts…if so, read on.
Great pattern? Probably. Just not for me.
This is Vogue 1590, and there are several positive reviews of it on Pattern Review.
I made a size F (sort of an 18 or 20 I think – its a Sandra Betzina design with Sandra Betzina sizing).
Great fabric but perhaps not for me in this pattern?
This is an embroidered cotton/linen from Tessuti’s Knots and Crosses competition in 2020. It is delightful fabric and many amazing garments were made from it.
Perhaps I shouldn’t be too quick to judge the fabric as not a good match for the pattern, because it looks like one of the top ten entries was made using this pattern, and the modelled version looks like it’s in a eyelet lace too.
Sigh. It’s not you, you lovely fabric, it’s me.
Perhaps my issue was the colour and lack of lining? Plus the wrong pattern, for me?
I made this a year or so after the competition, so the care I put into this was because I wanted to try a few things out. Not because I was hopeful of winning the prize.
Ha-ha. Not much chance of that when you see the talent that did enter the competition!
I used both fabrics – the larger diagonal crosses for most of the jacket and the smaller squares for the collar, belt and part of the neck facing.
I used silk organza as the second layer of the collar. I like how this looks, but overall the width and height of the collar at the neck is overwhelming on me. The height of the collar even looks a bit much on my dressmaking dummy.
The necks tucks might not be helping the collar situation, but this is how the collar was drafted, so I went with it.
Silk organza was also used as interfacing on the neck and front facings,
I ‘interfaced’ the facings with the organza by sewing the organza to the facing at the outside edges, right sides together, and then turning the right side out. This meant the outside edge was enclosed. I then stitched the facings down, so I probably didn’t need to worry about enclosing the organza! But at least this stopped bits of raw edge poking though the eyelet holes.
Silk organza was also used in the sleeve hems and in the middle part of the belt that goes around your body, but not the parts you tie – it’s a nice touch that keeps the knot softer and the tie ends drapier.
Super unsuccessful sewing if success is ending up with a garment I like and wear, but successful in terms of a learning experience. Silk organza is brilliant as an interfacing.
There. Knew I’d find a silver lining!